I know what you’re thinking. You wondering what the heck a “Bobken” is. The only answer I can find is that it’s the name of the cup holder ashtray that I’m about to review. But still, it sounds really familiar doesn’t it? That could be because you’re thinking about the old English minced oath “Odds Bodkins”. Confused? Excellent, let’s get on with the review.
The subject of todays review was an impulse buy that didn’t wind up taking up permanent residence in a closet or the trunk of the car. In fact, my Cigar Bobken has accompanied me on many adventures, including a cross country road trip last year, and numerous outings on Lake Lanier in a friend’s boat. I’d say I’ve tested it about as thoroughly as is reasonably possible over the past six months or so.
What the Bobken is, basically is two thick plastic pieces that fit together to make an incredibly handy portable ashtray. The lower half comprises a deep ash bowl and an arm designed to hang onto a ledge. The top portion has an elongated stirrup for securely holding your cigar and a funnel to collect and send ash down into the darkness below.
The inner workings of the Bobken
The important question is, how well does it work? And in my experience, it has worked rather well. But let’s break it down into the good and the bad, so you can better determine if this gadget will work for you.
- I love being able to set a cigar down in the car without having to worry about setting something on fire.
- I have never found a cup holder this ashtray won’t fit into. The manufacturer wisely made it about the size of your standard coke can.
- I’ve never had a problem with ash flying everywhere or falling on the floor while using the Bobken.
- Though it could be bigger, you can probably smoke a couple of robustos before you have to empty it. If you smoke smaller cigars commuting to the office, you’ll probably be able to go a long time without having to empty it.
- It does a great job of hiding ash and cigar butts.
- It’s very hard plastic, and won’t break if dropped. Repeatedly. And kicked across the garage when you’ve had a few too many.
- I’ve never been in a situation where the lower ledge hook came in handy. I don’t have a balcony, and my friends newer fishing boat doesn’t have ledges this will hook onto. (However, it does have cup holders!)
- This ashtray is only as handy as your cup holders. My older car decided to place cup holders in a spot very low relative to the seat, making it easy to bump your knee into the ashtray.
- Cigars may face an early death. As you smoke the cigar down into the final third, the stirrup doesn’t hold it as firmly. A quick break may send your unfinished smoke headlong into the funnel of doom.
- You won’t score style points with this accessory. In fact, you might want to prepare yourself to be the punch line of some Jeff Foxworthy jokes.
A fairly small profile from the top
So while it won’t impress your date, it is an incredible convenience. And a must have for the commuting cigar smoker. I’ve enjoyed it so much, I went back to the shop I bought the first one at to buy another, only to find they’ve stopped carrying it. Ah, but have no fear, our good friends over at Cigarmony carry the Cigar Bobken (you can find it here and here), and at better prices than I originally paid! Couple that with our special Stogie Review coupon code (sr2008) for 5% off, and you’re looking at a pretty sweet deal.